Friday, September 23, 2011

What is wrong with my left rear strut?

I have a 1996 Lexus ES. I have changed the rear truts but the left side tire is always touching the body whenever I hit the bumbs. The original rims were 15%26quot; but I have 16%26quot; rim on. Please help me solve this mystery.
What is wrong with my left rear strut?
larger rims are ok since you probable had a smaller profile tire to compensate, but the offset, the distance from the bolts to the outside edge of rim is too much or tires are too wide for the service your using it on.
What is wrong with my left rear strut?
well hopefully when you put the larger wheels on it, you put lower profile tires on it as well...
first of all did you have a 4 wheel alignment done when you did this if not i would try that since changing the struts changes the alignment
If I recall correctly, those struts are pretty tight on that car and don't travel too far. Have you checked the bump stops? They wear out over ten years and need to be replaced at the same time you do the struts. You also need to do alignments after struts.



Also, I'm assuming you checked the wheel-wells thoroughly, but sometimes debris gets in there and you will hear the tire rubbing... all you need to do is clean.