Friday, September 23, 2011

Firebird Trans Am GT strut shock help?

I think I need new struts or shocks, I think their are all struts. Are these possible to change by myself? I've done a number of procedures on my own but I'm not sure if this one is possible.



What does it take? My car has 75,000 miles. It makes creaks and noises. I'm pretty sure it is time to change them.
Firebird Trans Am GT strut shock help?
It is very possible. You will probably need access to a spring compressor. You can do a loan a tool autozone or pep boys, or you can just bring the strut assy. to them and they can switch them out for like $10 a piece. A Haynes manual will tell you all you need.



Replacing sway links may also help, it did get rid of some of the noises on my ride.
Firebird Trans Am GT strut shock help?
Rears are probably not struts but whats called, spring over shocks. same idea. Either way yes, you will need a spring compressor. Thats the hardest most dangerous part of the procedure so get or rent a good one. Replace the shock/strut mounts also while your at it. They may not be bad yet but why do the job again in another 25k or so.