Friday, September 23, 2011

Why does my car shakes at 65mph and up?

I've got a 1994 Chevy Cavalier Z24 5 speed. Everything works good. No problems with the engine at all. I've changed everything below because before it'd shake around 40mph.



Both front struts. I didn't change the strut mounts though.

Tie rods

Ball joints

Sway bar links (just one side, other side was fine)

Brake pads

And I got an alignment done after all of this. I was told that everything looked fine and nothing else needed changing. Still shakes at 65 and up.



It does not start shaking until I get to 65. Any lower speeds it'd drive just fine.



What's causing this to happen? I was told that it's 100% the wheel balance. Those are the only things I haven't gotten checked out yet.



Also what I need changed are the rear shocks. Both are shot. That'd explain the bouncing but not the shaking. Someone tell me what it is. I know the car is too old to drive smoothly but it shouldn't be shaking this bad at that speed.
Why does my car shakes at 65mph and up?
most of the time it will be a wheel balance
Why does my car shakes at 65mph and up?
You may simply have a slightly bent rim even if it is not noticeable to the naked eye. This can cause a vehicle to shake and shimmy at certain speeds even with proper alignment. My 1995 Mercedes did the same thing, even with a balance and shock replacement but after I replaced the rims it never happened again. Might be that or might not.
it can be a wheel inbalance...i have the same on my explo' and we decided to switche the wheels since they were not made for road...but for dirt.. as i said...try looking at the wheels from the front and you'll be able to see them not straight.....or as wat happend to me...the tires are worn or not made for that kind of driving... it can also mean your rims can be bent....try replacing them.
you could have a busted belt in 1 of the tires or the tires are out of balance.have the tire shop spin balance the tires. that should let you know if a belt is broke. those bubble machines don,t tell anything.
If you feel the shaking all over, then most likely you're in need of a Rotate and Balance. Shaking at 65 mph is a symptom of needing a Rotate and Balance
if your wheel shaking and you can feel the stearing shaking most of all is your wheel balance..but if you had balanced your wheel but still shaking maybe its the tire(minimum case)