Friday, September 23, 2011

I have a '01 Subaru Forrester - about 1 mo. ago I had the struts changed......?

I also had the right front half shaft replaced. So I have noticed the last few days that left turns make a sound like a clunk somewhere around the wheel where the half shaft was replaced. Is the sound related? How do I figure it out?
I have a '01 Subaru Forrester - about 1 mo. ago I had the struts changed......?
This will happen if the hub nut is not tightened to the appropriate torque value (on the wheel end of the half shaft). Could also be something with the strut that is not installed or tightened properly as well. I would take it back to the shop that did the work and have them check it out. They should not charge you to double check it, and deserve a shot at fixing anything they might have missed. If you don't trust what they come up with I would then take it somewhere else for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Other parts that clunk when bad include sway bar end links and ball joints, you have one of each on both sides. During left turns only the outboard (right) wheel has power, If I had to gamble my bet would be on the axle/half shaft hub nut being loose.