Thursday, October 6, 2011

Struts or shocks.?

I've had this 99 sentra for about three years.I changed the struts because when I would hit a small pothole or as I would cross the railroad tracks I could feel the car rattling and such.Now that I changed both struts I could still feel the car rattle what else do you think I should change.
Struts or shocks.?
Most likely a rattle that you %26quot;feel%26quot; is a ball joint or tie rod end. Bad struts generally won't rattle, they just allow the car to bounce 3+times after a bump. The upper strut mounts could also be the culprit, and I'm guessing that if you managed to change the struts yourself, you didn't replace the mounts. BTW, did you get an alignment? It's required after putting in struts.
Struts or shocks.?
grab ahold of each wheel and shake the crap outta it and listen for rattle, sometimes the spring itself will rattle, most shocks come from factory with a plastic tube on the shock and it dampens spring jar while hitting holes,, most replacement shocks do not come with this plastic which is usually broken when you replace shocks so you throw it away,