Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rack and Pinion or something Else?

My 2002 Protege5 has been making a knocking noise coming from the front left side of the car. It only does it going over uneven surfaces. I've stood on the hood the bumper and made the suspension go up and down... no noise, no excess bounce from bad struts. However, when I rock the car back and forth, I hear the noise. I've changed the strut mount, changed the sway bar bushings and still had the noise. I took it to sears and they are telling me that it is the rack and pinion. Does that make sense? I wouldn't think that the rack and pinion would make a knocking noise like that. If there are any experts with advice please help. Thanks.
Rack and Pinion or something Else?
It sounds like you've checked it enough to know it's not dangerous to drive the car. So I would just keep driving it until the problem gets so bad that you can more easily diagnose it.
Rack and Pinion or something Else?
it more than likely is the upper strut mount.
The inner tie rods can clatter when loose. And they are part of the rack and pinion when you buy a long rack but they can be replaced separately at allot less cost. Jack the front wheels off the ground and check the slack by turning the wheels slightly from side to side. If the tie rods are loose you will feel the slack and possibly hear the noise you're talking about. But in my experience I have never had the rack itself to make the noise.
Jack the car up and see if the bushings for the rack are bad.
Yes! They could be correct. The tie points inside the wrack may be worn out. The arms coming out of the wrack should be under tension, not loose.
  • xp
  • serious problems gaining weight
  •