Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do you do your own car maintance or just take it to Jiffy Lube or a place like that?

I do it myself and save alot of money. I do almost everything from a tune up to changing brake pads, and even my alternator. The only thing i take into the mecahnic for is if i need to change something like shocks or struts.
Do you do your own car maintance or just take it to Jiffy Lube or a place like that?
My late Dad used to have a hoist and gobs of tools and I did all of my cars there. Now hes gone and so's the hoist but I have the gobs of snap on tools and jacks and stands so...I can do allot. The really major stuff I save for professionals and I need a bit of advice from Mr. good wrench from time time but, I don't trust anyone torquing my lugs, I do it with Dads old snap-on torque wrench.....because these are things I have had drilled into my head by my Dad. He was a Chevy service manager/owner for 45 years in his own shop. That man could really diagnose a car if he knew all the detail, he would have loved this site. He taught me many many %26quot;tricks%26quot; of the trade that really make jobs easier...Now I really find a lot of good knowledge at this site and it kind of replaces calling up Dad for advice......but I feel his spirit when I use his tools...thanks
Do you do your own car maintance or just take it to Jiffy Lube or a place like that?
i do about 99% of my maintenance and i agree it saves ALOT of money.
I take it to a place like that.
HAHAHA THAT'S WHY THEY GET PAID FOR!!!
I'd like to do that, but I drive a Vokswagon and they make them more difficult for just anyone to work on for some reason.

I also live in an apartment complex and I don't feel safe crawling under a car in my parking lot
I used to do it all myself (including shocks, struts, and exhaust system). Eventually I realized that my time in doing little things was worth more than I would pay a mechanic.
over the winter, i used to take my car in for oil changes and things that i didnt feel like freezing my *** for.



when it started getting nice again, i tried changing my oil but come to find out, the oil drain plug was horribly stripped.



its definetly best to do it yourself, not only do you save a few bucks, but you dont have to waste your time trying to fix other people's mistakes on YOUR own car
I do everything myself. But, then again, that's what I do for a living. Shocks are easy, leave struts to a shop.
I do most of it if I have the time. I find the time for small jobs like oil changes.brakes,tuneups etc. Changing out the intake or putting different gears in the rear, that I will let my mechanic take care of it.Or if I need special tools.
Places like that .
Yep saves a hell of a lot the more you know the better.I do everything from tuning,servicing,brakes,bearings,shocks,鈥?coz i can
I do all the work on my truck myself for two reasons:



1) I don't trust other people working on my truck. I don't know their qualifications, and what they do or don't do to fix my truck.



2) I'm a college student. I can't afford to take my truck to the shop for repairs.



It saves a ton of money, and you can usually get the work done in less amount of time anyways. When it's in the shop, it's not like you'll be going anywhere anyways.



Plus, it helps when your own personal garage has more tools than many of the service shops.
let me ask you this.who do you trust?most places like that offer fast servicebut is it to fast to do a good job?I work at one that had 1 pit man for 4 bays.each bays 10 mins tops.it's to easy for mistakes.we bought a 1000 dollar rearend because one pit man left the plug out of it when checking it.they arepayed to sell product and do it fast.think about it.....
i do almost all my own work i dont do any major engine repair on my own car because i dont like to or trans work but i will swap out struts shock plugs wires belts hoses batteries and i also do most of hte work on my sisters and mothers cars and do a lot of work on the side i am a mechanic and i know what i am doing
Always do it myself, even though sometimes it's a pain the the a**!

My brother took his car to Jiffy Lube and they put the wrong oil filter on. He paid, backed out of the garage but noticed a huge pool of oil on the ground.

The mistaken filter allowed all the oil to leak out of the engine right away. If he would have just driven off, the engine would have burnt up completely.

Several friends of mine have had Jiffy places forget to tighten the oil plug. After a few days the plug falls off, completely draining the engine of oil in a few seconds, burning it up.

The guys in jiffy places are paid minimum wage and are not mechanics. If they do something wrong and you drive off without noticing, it's extremely hard to prove it was them that ruined your engine.
I take it to a local shop. I'm not mechanically inclined. The place I go does a good job, but they don't charge a ton of money.
i do that **** myself see having older brothers actually helped to teach me a thing or two lol
I do everything myself.
  • give advice to shy people
  • migrating existing portal
  •